Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

June 17, 2007

I'm An Emotional Freak

I have been doing transcription for years, but I still get bothered by some of the stuff I have to process in this head of mine. Death summaries are the worst - I get upset because someone I never had the chance to know has passed away. I wonder if it might be because of the terminology some doctors use: "The patient expired." Expired? I know what it means from the medical standpoint and know that it is being used appropriately, but it still bugs me. Sounds like we have dates on us like gallons of milk. It just seems so.... clinical.... and sterile.... and it really gets to me. The tear-jerk comes when the doctor is one of those tender beings walking this planet that closes the report with "May her gentle soul rest in peace" or some similar blessing wished.

I am then reduced to a blubbering, quivering pile of flesh.

3 comments:

Jo June 17, 2007 at 10:18 PM  

I had taken a terminology course at one point because I was fascinated by my chart everytime I went to the doctor but once I started working at the hospital (when I was prego not now) it wasn't so much fun because you'd get charts like you described.

I honestly think reading stuff like that was harder than actually watching people die (part of working with the ER).

Emotional just shows ur all warm and fuzzy and lovey and stuff.

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA. No, seriously.. it says alot of good things about you hun.

paisley June 18, 2007 at 3:18 PM  

what a thought provoking post... i never thought about that as a part of the transcriptionists job... but it sure is.. isnt it???

very excellent.....

Dawn Drover June 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

You're not an emotional freak...you just have a heart....and apparently so do some doctors! I feel bad now for stereotyping them all :((

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP