Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

November 12, 2007

135 Days

It's been 135 days since the doctor's office visit that changed my life, the day I was informed my MRI scan showed brain lesions "consistent with multiple sclerosis." So 135 days, innumerable blood tests, 1 EMG, 1 swallowing function study, 1 lumbar puncture, and 1 visual evoked potential test later, I have finally gotten an "official" diagnosis: Yep, it's MS. Good thing to know it's all in my head and I just need to see a psychiatrist like I was told when my symptoms first came on.

There is no cure for multiple sclerosis. It's been studied for years and although more is known about it than ever before, no one knows what actually causes it--and, IMO, knowing what causes a disease is the first step towards finding a cure. BUT. . . there is treatment available to try to halt the progression of MS. This treatment will not repair the damage already there and will not give me back the use of my right arm and leg, but hopefully I won't lose the use of my left arm and leg and muscles of breathing any time soon.

Soon I will be starting Copaxone therapy. This is a daily injection given to try to prevent new lesions from occurring and to reduce flare-ups, worsening of symptoms or development of new symptoms. So just remember, if you don't come and visit me once in a while, every day when I am giving myself a shot, I will picture YOUR ass on the receiving end instead of my own. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous November 19, 2007 at 8:30 PM  

I'm so sorry to hear this and I'll keep you in my prayers.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP