I've Finally Done It
I got so tired of this computer freezing up on me, even AFTER removing XP SP2, I finally broke down and ordered more RAM like the IT guy at work suggested I do years ago. I went all-out at Tiger Direct and ordered TWO of them, 256MB each, the maximum my HP Pavilion is configured for. Keep your fingers crossed that this is the cure for my computer's ills and I stop getting that irritating "virtual memory is too low" message when I open 2 or more applications or even just use Firefox. It seemed a good deal, $60 total, and that's a helluva lot less than a new PC would cost, which would probably have Vista on it, and I'm not ready to give up XP. I don't need another PC; I just need to make this one do the job it did when it was all shiny and new.
I could go wild on Tiger Direct, if I had the money to do it and no sense of self-control. I let slip a wee bit and ordered a few other things I needed/wanted:
- A 20" LCD monitor. I can't see shit anymore and the dude at Office Max (I detest that store but was in dire need of a new office chair and dragged myself in there Saturday. It's so comfortable, I could sleep in it!) said a bigger screen might help. I got a nicer monitor than the cheapest one ($200) they had, for the same price. I shopped around and found one I liked at another store for about $240, then found a similar one on Tiger for less.
- A Trulink USB and PS/2 KVM switch with audio. Keyboard manufacturers seem to have decided to stop making PS/2 keyboards and mice for some reason, since the stores only seem to sell USB stuff (unless you want a junk $13 PS/2 keyboard that lasts about 2 months) and I need a new one, but my Trendnet KVM switch (which I love), quite unfortunately, is only PS/2 and not compatible with a USB adapter. It's so sad. It's a good switch and only a year old, but I'll package it up and keep it just in case. (Pack ratting)
- A Logitech Wave USB keyboard. I saw one in Staples (another store I detest but drag myself into when I need supplies) and liked it. It felt good to my hands and wrists, which is obviously vital in my line of work. So now I will have a USB keyboard to plug into my new KVM switch. I didn't get a mouse, since I have a couple here that are relatively new, all PS/2, but since the switch takes BOTH, it's all good.
Now, don't think I'm a freak for keeping the old stuff. It's just that if it's not BROKEN (broken stuff goes in the trash) but maybe just getting a little worn out or I don't like the shape or feel of it (I'm really peculiar about the feel of my mouse to my hand, and I hate mice that have no scroll wheel, and sometimes my headsets smoosh my ears against the earpieces of my glasses in a way I don't like), I hold onto it in case of emergency. That way, if whatever I'm using DOES break, I have backup until I can get a replacement. I work nights, when the stores are closed, so running to Office Max at 3 a.m. is just not an option.
In anticipation of our "rebate" checks, hubby-man and I ordered a new bed (thank goodness some stores still have layaways). He's been harping for months about how bad our old bed is getting and yelping whenever the Tempurpedic and Select Comfort commercials come on. Those just seem like they'd be out of my league money-wise (I admit I've never priced them but have a vivid imagination). So we went into the local furniture store and he fell in love with a Simmons mattress they had, and it was on even on sale. This store, where we've bought a lot of furniture over the years, can put it in layaway for you at the sale price. They also have free delivery. It's a hometown store and they don't just care about moving merchandise but actually satisfying the customer. They're all-around good people and know us by name (they also have a Radio Shack in the store and I send hubby-man there to buy my equipment for work, and the woman there is learning sign language). A few years ago I bought a solid oak entertainment center and glass-doored bookcase there, none of that Sauder crap they sell in Wal-Mart and Meijer, and 2 matching recliners. They were even able to match the color and pattern of another chair (different name, even) that I'd bought years prior at a different store! I'm also excited about that.
I've had a busy couple of days, and it just keeps on staying busy. Tomorrow's my appointment with the surgeon about my gallstones. Ugh.
0 comments:
Post a Comment