Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

May 26, 2007

"My Bubbles"

My youngest daughter cracks me up to no end. She spent the first two years of her life diagnosed as having sensorineural hearing loss and was the proud recipient of a hearing aid at about 4 months of age. She refused to wear it most of the time, preferring rather to try to eat it. Sadly, baby slobber and fine technological devices do NOT mix well, and there were problems with corrosion. By about age 2, she was regularly hiding it: In the toy box, in the dresser, under the couch, anyplace she thought we would not find it. Eventually she figured out the miracle of the trash bin, and one day I busted her trying to sneak it in the garbage. "Thwash," she says. Well, it was time for her annual hearing exam, so off we went to see the doctor. He had a rather puzzled look on his face after the tests were done, and I told him about the trash can incident; he chuckled and said, "Well, now we know why. Her hearing is normal."

How the hell does sensorineural hearing loss become normal, especially in a child born to someone with a long-documented history of familial deafness, just disappear? "I don't know." The whole fam-damily is perplexed by this.

There is a point here, so bear with me: Because she had decreased hearing for the first two years of life (two of the most IMPORTANT years for speech/language development) she has relatively poor verbal skills. She is great at using sign language, but we are still working on the verbal part of it. She has always been very good at identifying her body parts, and now, out of the blue, comes to me to identify "my belbows" (her elbows), "my feet," "my knees," and "my bubbles" (her boobies). I had to grin over the bubbles, since at not-quite 3 she certainly does not have "bubbles," but I laughed so hard my big ass broke yet another office chair when she pointed at mine and said "your bubbles" and then signed "pretty."


3 comments:

One Wacky Mom May 29, 2007 at 10:10 AM  

OOOh, this post has me like crazy. First off, I LOVE the head up your ass...its beautiful. That what made me fall in love with your blog. Its just fabulous! Truly.

Secondly, if you don't mind me asking...and please do not take offense...but is Emily seeing a speech and language therapist? If she isn't please consider getting her into one asap. Why?

1. Because sounds like a miracle occurred and I know about miracles...trust me.
2.Find the best speech and language therapist you can that will be covered by your insurance.
3. Speech and language development is critical for first 5 years of life. And if you delay, your child will have problems into their teens. I didn't know enough.

If you already know of all of this, then please do forgive me ignorance and stupidity. Its just that there is so much we didn't know...and we fought for and it has hurt my youngest son so much...and the only person I have to blame is me.

Please do forgive my impertinence and forwardness..it comes only from my own horrible experiences and having no one to tell me what will happen and how to move forward.

I hope you do not take offense to my comments. They come only from a broken hearted mother for her son's life's difficulties.

Look at he Smilebox on murphy's law..Just Do the Right Thing.

Respectfully and with all of God's grace submitted, Ev Nucci

Tami May 29, 2007 at 4:56 PM  

Ha ha, great post! Your daughter sounds like my daughter (only, with my daughter it's her glasses)!!

One Wacky Mom June 1, 2007 at 7:33 AM  

I forgot to mention that all the so called experts....had us teaching and learning sign language to my son. He learned sign language...they weren't helping him speak and said he never would.......I WAS RELENTLESS.

His speech is impaired....I didn't find the right people early enough...but he can talk....and I didn't give up. Which is why I'M WACKED!!!!!!!!!!

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP