Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

August 22, 2008

Fuck This Fucking Blog

That about sums it up, eh?

It's crazy. I used to love this place and now I just think it sucks. All I do is spew bile and there's no fun in that. There were actually a couple of posts between this one and the last, but I never published them since they were just vile and better left unread by anyone. Including me.

Anyhow. I have a new roof on my house AND garage and a new patio slider door and front door on my house, all told coming to somewhere in the vicinity of $10,000. It was totally worth it, though. Now I can actually heat the house in the winter instead of heating the outdoors and scooping snow off my floor that came in around the door--not THROUGH the door, AROUND the door frame. Yeah. Nice, huh?

My dad built this house in 1979. Nearly everything used in its construction was the cheapest that could be had, including a lot of the lumber coming from an old church (my mom swore the house was haunted with the ghosts of those whose funerals were held in that church, but I look at it that my house has God's own blessing on it). He once told me he built the whole house for about $10,000. The whole house built 30 years ago for what it cost me just for a new fucking roof and some doors. It's not hard to believe, though, considering he used odd-size doors and windows (which of course are no longer manufactured so you can see the problem I have now that I need to replace them????? CAN YOU SAY "SPECIAL ORDER"?????), 3/8" drywall instead of 1/2", and drop-tile ceilings IN EVERY ROOM (STYROFOAM tiles in the basement--I'm not shitting, they really were). He hung cedar siding and stained it this shitty rust-colored brown (it's fucking ugly, trust me) and then never took care of it so it's gone beyond "weathered" to just plain nasty and looks even shittier now sitting under that new roof, so that's my next project when I grow a new arm and leg to saw off in order to pay for it. The biggest relief came in replacing that patio slider, which never had a screen door and no way to install one on the frame and, hence, no way to take advantage of the cool night air unless you want to be eaten by 4,326,782 mosquitoes the size of 747's.

We grow 'em big here in Michigan. Don't let them try to fool you with that "The robin is the state bird" bullshit. Our state bird is the Anopheles quadrimaculatus.

But, again, I digress. After 30 years of Michigan weather with little to no maintenance, my house was in rough shape when I got it after dad built himself a new house (using GOOD shit, of course). And ugly. I hate ugly. I've tried hard to remedy that. That new front door alone set me back close to $1500, BUT IT'S SO PURTY!

The crew that did my roof and doors didn't fuck around. They tore off the old shit, did repairs, and re-shingled the house AND the garage and hung new doors in three days.

Three fucking days. I almost shit my pants.

DH has been "remodeling" the inside of the house for 6-1/2 YEARS and there's not even ONE FUCKING ROOM completely done--and it's not for lack of materials since the garage is so full of shit I've bought for the house that you can't even park the car in the goddamn thing. I don't expect it to ever get done unless I hire those guys to come back and finish it--without FUCKING IT UP and then blaming it on me.

2 comments:

Panday August 31, 2008 at 5:41 AM  

Well, I've lived in Michigan for most of my life and now find myself in the happy paradise of New Mogadishu (Detroit).

I can certainly sympathize about the weather.

Vanessa September 1, 2008 at 12:00 AM  

Glad you got your roof fixed. :) Don't give up on this blog just yet.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP